Everybody can grow a salad green garden. Small space gardeners, low-light gardeners, even indoor gardeners can plant seeds to grow a continuous supply of salad through the gardening season. Watch the video below to learn all about growing lettuces and how to utilize successive sowing and cut-and-come-again harvesting to maximize your harvest period.
It’s important to consider the differences between varieties. If you want continuous harvest throughout the seasons, grow leaf lettuce, arugula, or spinach. For more crisp texture such as for sandwiches, go for head lettuce varieties. We suggest growing a bit of both!
Varieties featured in this video:
- Buttercrunch lettuce seeds. Looks beautiful in the garden, high water content, perfect crisp leaves for sandwiches and salads. It tends to be bolt resistant, too!
- Parris Island Cos romaine seeds. A classic heirloom variety, perfect for Caesar salad.
- Super Gourmet Blend leaf lettuce seeds. Can be ready in less than 30 days. Mix of 5 different varieties with different colours and textures.
- Tropicana pelleted lettuce seeds. Does well in heat of summer.
- Drunken Woman lettuce seeds. Beautiful colour in the garden.
- Monstreux De Viroflay spinach seeds. Beautiful heirloom variety, cool-tolerant greens.
- Giant Winter spinach seeds. Great for growing into wintertime.
Check out the following links for:
Don't forget to stock up on seed starting supplies.